Sunday 1 April 2012

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 01/04/2012 - Macy Gray, Rocket Juice and the Moon, Lee Ranaldo

HERE'S THREE TRACKS THAT GOT OUR MOTORS RUNNING THIS WEEK!


Shell Hunter:-
Macy Gray - 'Sail' (2012)


This was another tough week! We were so short staffed at work and it was the hottest 4 days of the year yet. The trouble is, I was stuck in an office on the late shift juggling about 3 things at once looking longingly outside at the birds singing and the sun shining. During a particularly hellish moment, I could just about hear the radio, which some wiseguy had tuned in to Polish FM and could make out the familiar words to one of my favourite songs of last year, 'Sail' by Awolnation (here's the post). But hang on, who was that singing? I shouted for my colleague to turn it up and cut another colleague off on the walkie talkie I was using. Priorities! It was none other than Macy Gray! So weird that I did a post a few weeks back featuring Macy Gray (see it here) and thought to myself  "where is she now?" Hearing her laboured but full of emotion voice singing Sail at that point saved me. From then on I was coasting! Cheers Polski radio!

Macy has literally just released a new album called 'Covered' and it does exactly what is says on the tin. As well as this corker originally by Awolnation, she puts her stamp on the likes of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Metallica and Radiohead. There's got to be something for everyone there!

Flycasual:-
Rocket Juice and the Moon - 'Lolo ft. Fatoumata Diawara and M.anifest ' (2012)



Rocket Juice and the Moon, a supergroup of sorts, Damon Albarn, the Chilli's silly bassist Flea and Afrobeat drummer extraordinaire Tony Allen, has been in the making since 2009 but for some reason they've only just released their self-title album last week. As well as the talented trio already teasing the pallet, the mix is enhanced by the appearance of various guest stars. Lolo is a highlight, it's a Funk/Hip Hop fusion with the sounds of Malian songstress, Fatoumata Diawara and American/Ghanaian rapper M.anifest,  contrasting perfectly over some immaculate drum and bass work as you'd expect. Juicy.

Check out there official website here.


Old Pa's Corner :-
Lee Ranaldo - 'Xtina as I know Her' (2012)



I love this track from Lee Ranaldo's (Sonic Youth) new solo album 'Between the Times and the Tides'. It starts of with a great dark haunting sound and typical excellent guitar work which you would expect.  It at times reminds me of the rambling Television guitar solos and there is nothing wrong with that. This album will be on my 'Ipodish' thing this weekend and I can't wait to take the dogs out for a walk.



More Tracks of the Week to jump start your day here!

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 01/04/2012 - Macy Gray, Rocket Juice and the Moon, Lee Ranaldo
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
1 April 2012 at 13:54

FC wow! lots going on here, this is good, this is very good. Will look forward to hearing this album.
SH have not heard of MG for a while. No need to try. I like this! perfect for MG.

Reply
avatar
1 April 2012 at 18:16

Fly - Excellent stuff! I want more!
Pa - Not bad, would probably sound better on an 'ipodish' thing on walkies in the sun!

Reply
avatar
10 April 2012 at 11:34

Even though I like Awolnation's version of 'Sail', it took me awhile to get into it. A great voice undoubtedly but I'm not a huge fan of Macy Gray, so I'm not feeling this cover...man the lifeboats! Ehm ok, really like Lee Ranaldo's track. I agree about the guitar work and various solos, giving it that sombre mood. Grey would be the colour of this song. Reminded me a bit of old REM, ''Oddfellows Local'.

Reply