Sunday 7 April 2013

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 07/04/13 - John Grant, Black Books, Farewell JR, Primal Scream, Low

Kim Jung Un, you're getting on our Pyongyang's! Relax! Just everybody meet up and sort it with a karaoke showdown with these 5 love missiles.




Shell Hunter:-
Primal Scream - 'It's Alright, It's OK' (2013)



I couldn't believe it, yesterday I drove home after a horrid day at work and the sun was shining! I could feel the heat in the car and even though I was trying desperately not to drift onto the rummblestrips (a hazard often fought against when driving home after getting up at 03:45 am) I was smiling! This song is what you would get if summer was bottled and what you would find in the dictionary as a description of Primal Scream: A feel good beat, gospel choir backing and sing a long lyrics! Perfect for the 90's indie revival we seem to be having!

London Scouser:-
Black Books - 'Favorite Place' (2013


Despite the Arctic conditions we seem to be having this week I was actually happy to be blown away. I stumbled across this Texan 5 piece band and their Aquarena EP. Since then I've probably listened to the 4 tracks about 10 times each. They are all winners and it was difficult to choose 1 and disappoint the other 3 !! I chose this track because it instantly hooked me, and like a good book I couldn't put it down. The chorus of 'I couldn't breathe, you're exceptional' sticks in my mind for hours afterwards (in a good way !!) I almost forgot to mention the excellent video that accompanies the song, all I can say is that it must have taken a long time to make. They have been favourably compared to a few bands, amongst them Arcade Fire, which I definitely get, but also for me they sound like Embrace, especially on the track 'For All The People'. I for one was a huge fan of Embrace so I can't complain at that. They will be over this side of the pond in May supporting The Flaming Lips. I definitely don't want to miss them, that's how much they've impressed me.

Old Pa's Corner:-
Low - Plastic Cup (2013)


 

This is the first track on Low's new album The Invisible Way (2013) it is typical Low, a slow understated burner which will creep up on you and pounce. I have been listening to the album this week quite a lot and it is worth the effort.  The album is being described as 'Heartbreaking beautiful music'  Spot on, I agree

The album was produced by Jeff Tweedy and recorded at Wilco's studio too.

SFW:-
Farewell JR - Night Wolves

Great atmospheric track by, (fans of Larry Hagman), Farewell JR, which features on their recently released, Health EP. It's still a bit cold to lie down on the floor to stare at the stars, but I'd do it anyway for this.  Would be great on a soundtrack. Perfection.

Flycasual:-
John Grant - 'Black Belt' (2013)



I had the pleasure of listening to John Grant's album, 'Pale Green Ghosts', whilst painting my son's room last week, I hate DIY but when I finished before the album ended, I desperately tried to find something else to paint. The man who played with Midlake and gave us the Rock/Folk ballad about the woman who made me the man I am today, 'Sigourney Weaver' (I'm an Aliens fan), has made an incredible electronic album. It's as if the best bits of Rufus Wainwright, LCD Soundsytem and Vangelis have all been put into a musical blender and produced a tasty disco biscuit of a record. It's a collection of heartfelt songs of love, loss and personal tragedy beautifully sung with wit and humour. including some very memorable lines, which, at times, had me saying 'ooof' while shaking my head to the visually descriptive lyrics. The brilliant 'Black Belt' is one of my tracks of the year from, hands down, my favourite album of the year so far.

John Grant's website


Checkout previous Tracks of the week here
Listen & Subscribe to our 2013 Tracks of the Week Spotify Playlist

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 07/04/13 - John Grant, Black Books, Farewell JR, Primal Scream, Low
4/ 5
Oleh

6 comments

comments
avatar
7 April 2013 at 15:27

SH - this one is alright, its Ok!..always had a soft spot the Scottish lads.
LS - this on I also find to be alright, its OK!...it may benefit from a couple of hearings...will give the EP a shot!
FC - well with that description I will seek out the album,a paintbrush and a wall...nothing like doing somthing like that for music to grab you. Interesting
SFW - this will be a bit of a grower I woulds say

Reply
avatar
7 April 2013 at 15:30

Love the top pic and introduction, brilliant!

Reply
avatar
sfw
7 April 2013 at 16:36

All bloody brilliant. Little Kim, Frankie says Relax

Reply
avatar
8 April 2013 at 16:50

Great tracks, especially Low and the Black Books.

Reply
avatar
8 April 2013 at 21:17

A good and interesting selection this week folks, but I'm afraid it would take something miraculous to beat Low in my affections at the moment - one of my albums of the year.

Reply
avatar
8 May 2013 at 16:44

SH - Not my fave Primal Scream track, reminds me of Waiting For That Day by George Michael
OP - Loving It, as you say, understated. Will check the album out
SFW - It sounds like he's almost crying whilst singing, and for me it works. Makes me happy listening.
FC - Up there with my TOTY too, really love it, and having heard it a fair few times, I ain't bored of it yet.

And the winner is.... John Grant

Reply