Monday 25 August 2014

Black Box - 'Fantasy' (1990)

COVER NERD!

What's your favourite cover version ??? Tell us by clicking here

Black Box - 'Fantasy' (1990)

I had a few crushes on pop stars back in the 90's a few of which I've mentioned in previous posts. This particular one however was a little different from my normal ones. Katrin Quinol was the 'singer' on Black Box's hits such as 'Ride On Time', 'Everybody Everybody' & 'I Don't Know Anybody Else' and whilst I bought the singles and the album 'Dreamland' I hadn't take much notice of her. That was until the video for the 4th single 'Fantasy' was released. As soon as the camera focused on her face I was as smitten as I'd been, she had the most amazingly sexy blue eyes. The image of her brown skin, with these blue eyes did something to me.
The eyes have it...
Nowadays when something like that happens that I can't explain I'd probably get my phone out and Google it. But back in 1990 I just took it for granted that she had blue eyes and that was that. The concept of coloured contact lenses wasn't something that I considered as I didn't know such a thing existed.
I've since discovered that she didn't sing on any of the bands songs and that she was a French-Caribbean model that was paid to be the face of the band and lip-synced all their videos and performances. Like Milli Vanilli it didn't bother me cos I like the songs regardless of who sung them. Albeit I didn't ever fancy the lads from Milli Vanill !!!

I remember the original by 'Earth Wind & Fire' from back in 1978.



NERD ALERT -The actual singer on nearly all of the Black Box songs was an American singer by the name of Martha Wash, who just so happens to be one half of 'The Weather Girls'



And if you wanna subscribe to the Cover Nerd Spotify playlist, please click here



Related Posts

Black Box - 'Fantasy' (1990)
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
27 August 2014 at 11:08

Good post...I agree if I liked the song ie MV I did not give a dam who sang. Prefer the original.

Reply
avatar
27 November 2016 at 18:37

I saw her last night in a performance. I expected a simple playback and a show to enjoy. But surprise! She took the microphone and make the famous WOOAA-HO from "Ride on time" with no music, just accappella. Then began the show and although she uses the original track with voice you can hear also her own voice at live, and she did it really well! :)

Reply
avatar
1 December 2016 at 15:37

Wow, I didn't realise they were still going. I bet it was a great night. Who was the singer ??? Katrina (the lip syncer) or Martha (the weather girl)

Reply