Sunday 7 September 2014

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 07/09/14 - Hozier, The Sour Notes, Lonely The Brave, Ben Howard, Real Lies

Five tracks that were top of the agenda this week....


Flycasual:-
Real Lies - 'North Circular' (2014)


The notorious stretch of road in north London that is more akin to a car park at certain times. Oh but not this time....this is the late ride home after a night out, void of traffic dreamy, head a bit fuzzy, stopping at the garage on the way to answer the call for a sausage roll. I only heard this yesterday so it was a late entry, it made an instant impression, an intriguing cross between The Streets and The Pet Shop Boys (how's that for a marriage). 'North Circular' is taken from the London trio's forthcoming second album, find out more about them on Marathon Artists record label.

Sfw:-
Ben Howard - I Forget Where We Were (2014)


I've been eagerly awaiting Ben Howard's latest release.  Would it follow a similar formula? Would he try something different?  After listening to this, it certainly follows his tried-and-tested recipe and who can blame him. When he won the 2013 BRIT award everyone was wondering where he came from. (Born in Middlesex, raised in Devon).  He's been releasing material since 2008, but it wasn't until his 2010 EP release that I caught on. I was fortunate to see him in a nearby town (Narberth) in 2011, which was last time he played West Wales (my wife still gives me grief that she never went to it!).  His new album is out 20th October  

Old Pa's Corner :-
Lonely The Brave - Deserter (2014)

 

This a track from Lonely The Brave and certainly shows intent. There seems to be a bit of a 'noise' about these lads from Cambridge. Looks to me if they are heading for the big time. This song is destined to be heard at the festivals next season along with their other anthems. I was thinking Editors when listening to them, not a bad thing. Do you agree that the guy's voice sounds a bit like Peter Gabriel with a hint of that guy from Pearl Jam, or is it just me.  Anyway the new album, their first, is called The Days Of War (2014).  

Shell Hunter:-
Hozier - 'Take Me To Church' (2013)



Definitely not to be mistaken for The Hoosiers, this Irish soul-o artist can seriously hollar. I love the echoeiness of this track, you could quite easily be sat alone in one of those massive catherdrals, its a real goosebump factory. He realeased an EP with the same name last year but I am only starting to hear it around now strangely. He followed it closely with another EP Eden but his debut album is due out in a couple of weeks simply titled Hozier. I'm feeling another young singer songwriter success story coming on, it'll be the bank not church he'll be visiting!

London Scouser:-
The Sour Notes - 'Two Hands Wait' (2014)


Earlier this week I was in Charlotte, NC for one night to test a new uniform for my job, it's a hard life I know. Whilst trying and not succeeding in sleeping I looked on facebook and saw that my favourite band from last year, Black Books, had posted a poster of an upcoming gig to celebrate the album launch for fellow Austin, TX band 'The Sour Notes'. Finally after a 4 month hiatus my 'Austin Phase' was back on. I listened to the album in question 'Do What May' and liked what that first hearing had to offer. Their wikipedia page describes their musical style as 'Indie Rock' & 'Dream Pop' and I definitely get that. I've chosen this song for two reasons, 1 is that it has a great sound but the 2nd reason it the really cool video. It's an homage to scary films like 'Paranormal Activity' and the like. Their official launch was on 06th September and I hope it went well.

Listen or even better, subscribe to our tracks of the week playlist here...

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 07/09/14 - Hozier, The Sour Notes, Lonely The Brave, Ben Howard, Real Lies
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
C
9 September 2014 at 18:16

The description of Real Lies as a cross between The Streets and Pet Shop Boys had me really intrigued - how could that possibly work?! - but it does! A perfect description and I'm liking the song.

Reply
avatar
11 September 2014 at 10:51

Sfw, decent song, especially because he references having 'pizza in the afternoon' right at the end..rock n roll decadence!

Old Pa, do you mean Freddie Vedder? I get all your references too. I can see these guys being big.

SH, my pick of the pops this week. The cat can sing, we missed him at Latitude too..

LS, hmmm do I like the song or the video? It's a bit of a distraction but I thought it was good.

Reply
avatar
11 September 2014 at 13:14

FC - I agree with you & C that it's a perfect description. Decent track as well.
SFW - As you say, he hasn't re-invented the wheel with this track, and why should he. It's a good track.
OP - It definitely sounds like a few other singers in a good way. I like what I have heard and look forward to more.
SH - I really like this one, it's dark but really good.

And the winner is... Hozier, but it was tights

Reply
avatar
11 September 2014 at 19:00

... And there is men heavy pettin! Phwoar!

Reply
avatar
13 September 2014 at 12:39

FC - This is brilliant especaly after second listen...description is spot on
SFW - not unpleasant at all...may grow
SH - i like this
LS - I aso thought the Vid was a little distracting....enjoyed it better 2nd time without on YT without the Vid

Reply