Wednesday 15 October 2014

Sneaker Pimps - Post Modern Sleaze

OLD PA'S WEDNESDAY CLUB

FLEMISH BAD BOYS

THAT'S NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY!

 
SNEAKER PIMPS - Post Modern Sleaze  (1996)

I have been watching the Belgium Human Trafficking series Matrioshki and enjoyed the first series on TV. I therefore just had to get hold of the second series. It is not easy watching at times, but it does expose how these girls. from the Eastern Block countries and Thailand are exploited.

The are treated like a commodity and treated like pieces of meat. It is heartbreaking to think that because of poverty they are ruthlessly preyed upon and made to do unspeakable things, so theses gangster can make money out of them. When they are of no use or cause trouble they are disposed of or sold on.

It is rather sad when you think about it that if you have money and live in a western country, if your child goes missing it is a big deal and reaches the front pages of the newspapers and is all over the TV.

In India, a supposedly economic power house and now sending space ships to Mars, have literally every year hundreds of thousands of young girls  kidnapped from their homes and end up in prostitution and are never seen again. This scandal does not even make the news there. It is sad and very very wrong. Very wrong.

One good thing about the series is most of the bad boys get their come up-tupence as Old Ma says, well it is close enough for me.

This song featured is the theme tune from the series and because of trusty Shazam I found it to be the Sneaker Pimps from their album Becoming X (1996). I do remember briefly listening to them in the nineties but don't remember too much about it. But this is a good one.

Related Posts

Sneaker Pimps - Post Modern Sleaze
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
C
15 October 2014 at 22:17

Great choice - 'Becoming X' has been a long term resident of our CD rack and whilst I don't often think about playing it, it always sounds good when I do. If you haven't already done so, Kelli Ali's solo stuff is worth checking out (I've included some before on SDS) - frequently very different to her Sneaker Pimps output but I like the fact that she has changed with the times!

Reply
avatar
5 November 2014 at 12:22

Heavy stuff Old Pa but ultimately I agree. I was a big 'Trip Hop' fan throughout the 90's and the Sneaker Pimps featured but this song amazingly bypassed me. I'm glad you posted it as it's cracker, a revist is a must.

Reply