Wednesday 11 February 2015

Metallica - 'For Whom The Bell Tolls'

Have the sudden urge to run really fast into your neighbours fence? Save the embarrassment, just listen to Give Me a Guitar instead!

Rocking the salon!



Metallica - 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' (2014 live @ Rock Am Ring, Nuremburg)

I've never been happier than when I'm on my board, cruising at speed, wind in my hair and the noise of the wheels tearing up the curb. That is until my wheels hit a tiny pebble, the skater's nemesis, the board stops abruptly but I don't, the momentum carrying me forward as I make an unplanned landing on the concrete. I Pick out the gravel from my forehead/elbows/knees and nod in acknowledgment at the kids who are laughing uncontrollably at the large middle aged man taking his time getting up from the floor. That was last summer, it's happened before and it'll happen again but I'll keep skating. An old pal once told me that 'Old Skatedogs never die'....hmmm maybe so, they just get heavier and fall harder.


Sfw and I used to skate (still do-ish), ever since Marty Mcfly held on to the back of cars in Back to the Future in 1985, we've been hooked. It was the best fun, we made some great friends along the way, we were competing against ourselves as well as our peers. There was no time for booze and girls, we were out flirting with all the sweet skate spots but maybe that was the problem. You see, we followed the Bones Brigade, the superstar group of Cali kids we aspired to be. I bought a Tony Hawk deck, Sfw a Lance Mountain and with that dreams of being a chubby Hawk, sailing through the air. I realised that after watching the excellent Bones Brigade Autobiography, the Bones Brigade were just a bunch of boy scouts (Like I think Tony Alva says in the documentary) and that I've been rooting for the wrong guys all this time. Tony Hawk's rival Christian Hosoi should have been my skater of choice, he was Rock and Roll and had style in abundance. See Below:-



The soundtrack to this clip is immaculate, Metal doesn't get much better than this! 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' is taken from Metallica's second album, 1984's, Ride the Lightning. I wish I listened to that on my 'boom box' whilst skating instead of Milli Vanilli or Deacon Blue, I might have been a bit better than I was.

Anyway boy scouts or not, the Bones Brigade ripped! And the fabulous end credits show these guys, living legends to me, still tearing it up at skate competitions and such (my groin twitches at the thought!)....they are all in their late forties early 50's. Still an inspiration!

Bones Brigade, (L-R, Stacy Peralta, Rodney Mullen, Steve Caballero, Tony Hawk, Mike Mcgill, Lance Mountain, Tommy Guerrero




Related Posts

Metallica - 'For Whom The Bell Tolls'
4/ 5
Oleh