Sunday 1 March 2015

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 01/03/2015 - Otis Taylor, Public Service Broadcasting, Leon Bridges

Three tracks that St David would approve of...

Old Pa's Corner :-
Otis Taylor - Hey Joe (2015)

 
If you have 16 minutes to spare this Sunday just get these Cans out, sit back and close your eyes or even better watch the the fantastic video. Get lost in this fantastic live take of Hey Joe by Otis Taylor. Absolutely brilliant and as for the violinist. Vanessa Mae eat your skis.
The Studio takes 1 & 2 are on his new album out on Monday and is called Hey Joe Opus Red Meat (2015)

Flycasual:-
Public Service Broadcasting - 'The Other Side' (2015)

I love space shit so I may be biased.
I recently took my son to Science museum during half term. It was heinously busy and we could hardly see any of the exhibits, particularly the section on space. But we did see an IMAX film on the Apollo 11 moon landing which was a definite hit for father and son alike. How they got that tin can covered in foil up to the moon, I'll never know. So it was all fresh in the mind when I heard this superb track from Public Service Broadcasting. I love what these guys do, creating a story by splicing old news reel tapes to music, it's unusual and innovative and 'The Other Side' is no different. It's about the Apollo 8 which was the first manned spacecraft to leave Earth orbit, reach the moon, orbit it and return safely. I was absolutely riveted listening to the radio conversation between Houston and the astronauts, the tension is palpable and I defy you not to feel anxious when the comms go dark as they go behind the moon. I got goosebumps imagining what it must have been like listening to that for the first time, back in December 68'. 'The Other Side' is taken from Public Service Broadcasting's 2nd album proper, The Race For Space, out last month. 



SFW:-
Leon Bridges - Better man (2015)

Since hearing this I have been having a classic soul revival. Leon Bridges is a 27-year old from Texas and his music sounds like a modern day Sam Cooke. Produced by Austin Jenkins and Josh Block of White Denim, it has the feel of a 60s timeless classic. This boy got soul!

Listen or even better, subscribe to our tracks of the week playlist here...

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 01/03/2015 - Otis Taylor, Public Service Broadcasting, Leon Bridges
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
1 March 2015 at 20:06

Otis Taylor - Stormin'! Like the blues as played by Television. That young chap on guitar is quite something.

PSB - you can never get enough 'space' stuff. This captures the whole feel of the Apollo missions rather well. Tension and release. 'The backside of the Moon' - the Floyd missed a trick there.

Loen Bridges - there was bit of debate about his sound on the radio the other day. Some were questioning why someone would go out of their way to sound so retro. I can see their point but putting that to one side, this is a nice slice of soul. Very Sam Cooke.

Reply
avatar
1 March 2015 at 21:03

Old Pa. I wasn't expecting that! Pretty remarkable. Good find.

Flycasual. Oh yes, I remember it well. I wish I still had my old Apollo scrapbook. Good stuff.

SFW. I heard the debate Mr Bear mentioned. I'm not quite sure what they were driving at really. There's always an element of 'harking back' in every era of music. This guy looks and sounds very cool.

Reply