Sunday 31 January 2016

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 31/01/2016 - Massive Attack, Willie J Healey, The Anchoress (feat. Paul Draper) ,Nataniel Rateliff and Night Sweats, Future Islands


TRACKS OF THE WEEK



Shell Hunter:-
Future Islands - 'The Chase'


I have blogging to thank for finding out about this band back in 2011 and I have been an avid fan ever since. Their unmistakable sound returns in this single and not to mention Mr Stage Presence himself  Samuel Herring. I think some may find this a low simmer sort of offering but I'm confident it will be as big a grower as "Seasons" was for me. You can't deny the infectious Joy Division style bass and the heartfelt emotion delivered. Here they are performing on Letterman and thankfully not as scary as last time!

Sfw:-
Willie J Healey - Saturday Night Feeling (2015)


When I first heard this I thought California, laid-back, surfer type who probably takes the Pacific Coast Highway up to Santa Cruz and so on, but I was wrong.  Willie J Healey is from landlocked Oxfordshire, however the "surf-rock" is a good bracket for his style.  Reminds me very much of Mac Demarco and looking forward to hearing more.

Old Pa's Corner:-
Nataniel Rateliff and Night Sweats - I need Never Get Old (2016)


 
 
Got the nod from London Scouser on this one. He thought I would like it. He was spot on. This chugs along nicely and is from the their self titled album. Nothing too seriou here just good ol' fun. Love it.


Flycasual:-
Massive Attack - 'Take it There' (2016)



Flashback 1994!! 'Take it There' sees the return of the original line up, 3D, Mushroom and Tricky, the first time the Bristol trio have all recorded together in 20 years and it's as brooding and claustrophobic as any of their previous material. Ritual Spirit, is the four track EP featuring guests such as Roots Manuva, Young Fathers and Azekel and the release also accompanies their European tour starting in February. The video is certainly interesting, I can probably relate to approximately 90% of it at some point in my life.

London Scouser:-
The Anchoress (feat. Paul Draper) - You And Only You 


This track was the first one in my new playlist of songs to check out while I was 'Down Under' this past week. Essentially they were tracks I had skipped through on Spotify in about 10 second listens that didn't sound awful. I saw that this featured Paul Draper... The name seemed familiar but I couldn't place it... Until I heard him, and immediately I knew, the voice of one of my fave 90's bands from the Britpop era, Mansun. I googled The Anchoress and found that she is a Welsh singer by the name of Catherine A Davies who has been described as 'Barbra Streisand on acid' & 'Bat For Lashes on a book-binge' whatever that means !!! Regardless this is a great pop song with some good sing along harmonies. Her album 'Confessions Of A Romance Novelist' (which she co-produced with Paul Draper) released in 2015 is one to check out.



Subscribe/listen to our Tracks of the Week. Click here.

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 31/01/2016 - Massive Attack, Willie J Healey, The Anchoress (feat. Paul Draper) ,Nataniel Rateliff and Night Sweats, Future Islands
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
31 January 2016 at 15:08

SH - what a front man - he is a showman. Curtis was for real...this is up to standard. They must break thu and deserve to be massive. Brilliant!
Sfw - more Cuddleston down to Littlemore. Saturday night is Saturday night no matter where you are. I know I have been there.
FC - this is tremedous, this is why we we got into them. Must listen to the EP for sure
LS - Like this too, great voice, this is very good and want to hear it again. Always a good sine.

Reply
avatar
sfw
31 January 2016 at 15:20

What a strong week!

SH - he's bonkers but great
OP - love this and the sugar daddy pic! Old dog!
FC - such a tune and the EP is great.
LS - tidy butt!

Reply
avatar
22 February 2016 at 17:47

SH - I really like this, it's tamer than some of their previous but that doesn't make it bad... Do you think the Letterman show asked him to calm down ??
SFW - Cos he looks a bit like Carrot Top, I didn't wanna like it... But I'm glad to say it's not too shabby... A late night song to play after a long session down the pub when you just wanna chill and listen to some tunes
OP - You're welcome... It's got a great 60's vibe to it, and very enjoyable
FC - A grower for sure, first hearing was okay... second time I liked it

And the stand out performance goes to Future Islands

Reply
avatar
23 February 2016 at 15:21

SH, Always good to see a live performance of Future Islands, highly entertaining! I thought this was an old song but it is indeed from a forthcoming album. Looking forward to that.

Sfw, This was going to be my TOTW until Massive Attack bum rushed the set. Reminded me of those Wednesday nights in Jeddah that I've strived to recreate ever since.

Old Pa, It was ok for some good ol' boys type tune, as SFW said, I prefer the pic.

LS, I had a lot of time of Mansun way back and this isn't bad don't know if it'll break new ground in my head though.

Reply