Sunday 26 June 2016

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 26-06-2016 - Holy Fuck, Cass McCombs, Portishead, Two Door Cinema Club

TRACKS OF THE WEEK




Old Pa :-
Holy Fuck - TomTom (2016)

 

Holy monstrosities, I just had to listen to this with a name like Holy Fuck and I am delighted to say that the Toronto rockers delivered my track of the week. A real pleasant surprise. There is a lot of Ciccone Youth in there somewhere and that to me is a bonus. Great driving base and great video. Get up and dance folks on the grave of the U.K. The grave that Cameron pulled the plug on and Corbyn stood by and saluted at the sinking ship.


Flycasual:-
Portishead - 'S.O.S.' (2016)


Like a musical superhero, Portishead are back after 7 years and just in time, with an aural rescue. The ABBA cover, was released in tribute to MP, Jo Cox, who was brutally slain in her constituency recently. It's a brilliant contrast to the original with all the somber minimalism we've come to expect from the Bristol legends. With all that's going on in Britain subsequently, I believe this captures the mood perfectly. "We have far more in common than that which divides us" has never rung truer. 


SFW:-
Cass McCombs - Opposite House (2016)


I've been reading the news too much since the UK pressed the self-destruct button, and I must admit it is pretty depressing reading. Thankfully this stunning track has been able to pick me up in a bit.  It features on Cass McCombs latest album, Mangy Love, which is released 26th August. Will everything be OK by then? I'm not too sure, but this has given me at least one thing to look forward to.

London Scouser:-
Two Door Cinema Club - 'Are We Ready? (Wreck)' (2016)


Where does the bloody time go?? I can believe it's been 4 years since TDCC released their last album. I was gutted when they pulled out of Latitude in 2014 as they were one of the band's I wanted to see. This is the first release from their 3rd album 'Gateway' and is a great return... I'm ready...


Subscribe/listen to our Tracks of the Week. Click here.


Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 26-06-2016 - Holy Fuck, Cass McCombs, Portishead, Two Door Cinema Club
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
27 June 2016 at 08:11

Old Pa. A band who have received a great deal of free publicity this past few days. Practically every conversation I've had has started with the words 'holy fuck!'. Great band, their 'Lovely Allen' is one of my favourite instrumentals of all time.

Flycasual. Tremendous cover, but we'd expect nothing less. Stark and moving.

SFW. This is lovely. Do you know The Skiffle Players LP 'Skifflin', which came out earlier this year? They're like a minor supergroup and feature Cass heavily. It's one of my most played albums of 2016 - well recommended.

London Scouser. I caught a little of their Glasto set on 6Music the other day, but I'm afraid that it didn't do anything for me. They've passed me by for some reason. This tune is nice enough though.

Reply
avatar
29 June 2016 at 10:46

FC - fabulous..but never forget we live in a democracy...no matter what you yourself think!!
SFW - we got Wales yeh! great track too!
LS - not familiar with them but I like this got good eighties feel to it

Reply
avatar
30 June 2016 at 13:27

Old Pa, stunning! Right up my constituency and straight in my top 10 of the year.

Sfw, really good this and I've liked his previous releases so looking forward to hearing more.

LS, No likey no lighty.

Reply