Sunday 15 April 2018

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 15-04-2018 - Baloji, Gaz Coombes, Lord Huron, A Place to Bury Strangers,

Tracks Of The Week



Flycasual:-
Baloji - 'Bipolaire Les Noirs' (2018)

Taken from the Congolese rapper's fourth solo album, 137 Avenue Kaniama, Biploaire is another infectious track synonymous with his style. I especially love the soukouss guitar, making my non dancing bones move like I've been musically tasered. West Africa, the centre of the music universe?

London Scouser:-
Gaz Coombes - 'Deep Pockets' (2018)


 

Gaz is back... His 2015 release 'Matador' was my album of the year. And I'm pleased to see he's got a new one (World's Strongest Man)) due out on International Star Wars Day. This track is bang on form and on the strength of this I'm sure that this album will also be a contender for this year's fave.

SFW:-
Lord Huron - When the Night is Over (2018)



Lord Huron are a strange enigma.  Only a few people I speak to have heard them, yet due to the popularity of the Netflix series 13 Reasons Why, their biggest "hit" (The Night we Met) has had an impressive 211 million streams on Spotify.  I'm looking forward to hearing their forthcoming release, Vide Noir, which is out on April 20th, but will anyone else talk about them? Hopefully, after hearing this! 

Old Pa:-
A Place to Bury Strangers - There's Only One of Us


 
I have heard of them before but not taken too much notice. I just love this, reminds me of so much, I can detect a little Velvets and Sonic Youth in there. Gonna listen to the album now.

  



Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 15-04-2018 - Baloji, Gaz Coombes, Lord Huron, A Place to Bury Strangers,
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
21 April 2018 at 04:48

Strong selection this week.

LS, not a name that I would normally migrate too but that’s twice now you’ve featured him in the TOTW and both have been excellent. My TOTW.

SFW, who are you talking too I wonder? I remember you mentioning this series, looks good. I hope it’s give the track justice.

Old Pa, the album is on rotation as I type.

Reply
avatar
21 April 2018 at 09:52

3 great choices here
FC - Love this, that Afro sound shines thru
LS - Another great one from Gaz
SFW - LH were a fav of SB this is just great

TOTW all deserve the mantle for different reasons

Reply